I do not like mangos, but I love what Mango Salsa does to an ordinary meal! I am still trying to perfect my mango salsa recipe. I am writing my base recipe here so I don’t forget.
- 10 ounces fresh cut mango (found in the grocery store fresh produce)
substitution: use 14 ounce can packed in fruit juice if fresh mango is not available.
- 1 small-medium sweet red onion, diced
substitution: white onions work too
- 2 Serrano Peppers, very finely diced
substitution: 1 medium jalapeno
- 1/4 red bell pepper (mostly for color)
- Cilantro, coarsely chopped
- pinch of salt
- black pepper to taste (1 pinch?)
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Optional: up to 1 heaping tablespoon sugar if mango wasn’t ripe enough
Add to bowl in order of ingredients list and stir. Put in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Stir again before serving.
I prefer to make between 2 hours and 2 days ahead of time, stirring at least twice before I serve.
Mango Salsa & Chicken Use fresh salsa to top grilled chicken. Eat with a toasted flour tortilla.
Mango Salsa & Chips Add fresh ripe diced tomato. Use as a dip for corn or potato chips.
Mango Salsa Turkey Burgers Cook ground turkey with salt and pepper to taste. On a wheat bun, layer: bottom bun, salsa, cooked turkey patty, fresh ripe tomato slice, top bun. Serve with corn chips for crunch and fresh fruit.